Kashmir: At least six police personnel killed during militant attack in Anantnag

Posted June 17, 2017

A gun battle broke out today in a village in south Kashmir's Bijbehara area between security forces and three militants of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba who were trapped in a house, police said.

Senior police officials believe the ambush was carried out to avenge the killing of the militants holed up in Arwani village.

"Some of the militants also fired from within the crowd indiscriminately on the security forces", he said. The fire was retaliated, and an encounter started.

Ahsan Mushtaq, 15, was killed after he was hit by bullets near the site of the encounter, the police said.

Intelligence sources said that search operation is still ongoing but have been hampered by stone-pelters who are targeting the security forces from different sides. While the government forces were trying to lay cordon of the village, young men hit roads and threw stones and brickbats towards policemen, apparently in a bid to help militants break through the siege.

After the incident, clashes broke out between protesters and security forces at almost a dozen places in the valley, including downtown Srinagar.

More news: Ken Starr: Not Enough Evidence for Trump Obstruction Case

On Thursday, two Indian police officers were killed in two separate shootings by suspected rebels in Srinagar and in the southern Kulgam area. The terrorists shot at the policemen with assault rifles after overpowering them.

The policemen were found with their faces mutilated beyond recognition as the terrorists fired at them even after they were dead, all over the bodies, including their faces.

The SHO was identified as Sub-Inspector Feroz Ahmad Dar, a resident of Pulwama. The police party was not travelling in a bullet-proof vehicle.

Earlier in the day, Director General of Police S P Vaid said it is because of the frustration of the ultras.

The other slain cops include a driver and four other policemen who were on a routine round-up in their jeep, he said.

The terrorist attack occurred in Achabal town of Anantnag district of the state.

More news: South Korea coach Stielike on the brink after Qatar defeat

The incident took place in Anantnag's Thajiwara Achabal area.

Meanwhile, the separatist leaders Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik called a daylong shutdown on Saturday against the civilian killings. Youth staged protest after congregational weekly prayers in Nowhatta area of old Srinagar.

Heavy contingents of police and the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) were also deployed.

Authorities have blocked 3G/4G mobile internet services across the Kashmir valley.

Shops, public transport and educational institutions remained closed.

More news: World coal consumption falls at record pace in history