Parents Get 48 Hours Deadline To Give 'Powerful Evidence' On Experimental Treatment

Posted July 12, 2017

Connie Yates and Chris Gard, the parents of a critically ill 11-month-old British baby were given two days at a high court hearing on Monday to produce convincing evidence for why their son should be allowed potentially life-saving experimental treatment.

The hospital gave no details of the new medical information, but British media and the infant's parents, Chris Gard and Connie Yates, have highlighted treatment at several US hospitals.

However, on Friday, Great Ormond Street had said that two unidentified global hospitals had "communicated to us that they have fresh evidence about their proposed experimental treatment".

May told the parliament last week that she was confident that the hospital would "consider any offers or new information that has come forward with consideration of the well-being of a desperately ill child".

The case gained spotlight after President Donald Trump and Pope Francis offered help to the baby.

More news: Viewings for Fallen NYPD Officer to Be Held Monday in the Bronx

Baby Charlie suffers from a rare genetic condition, an inherited mitochondrial disease generally referred to as MDDS, or mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome.

But British and European courts have so far sided with the hospital's decision that the 11-month-old's life support should end, saying therapy would not help and would cause more suffering.

Parents of Charlie Gard, Connie Yates and Chris Gard pose for the media ahead of delivering a petition with more than 350,000 signatures to Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, Sunday, July 9, 2017.

Gard and Yates presented "an urgent request to the Great Ormond Street Hospital to save Charlie's life" on Sunday.

Here in Britain, Charlie Gard is an 11-month-old baby who suffers from a very rare inherited disease which means he can not move his arms or legs. At one point, the baby's father, Chris Gard, yelled at a barrister representing the hospital: "When are you going to start telling the truth?" After the hospital's refusal, the parents filed a case in the European Court of Human Rights that ruled June 27 the boy could not be taken to the USA and should be removed from life support.

More news: Froome survives chaotic day to retain Tour de France lead

A GoFundMe page set up to raise money for his treatment has so far raised more than £1.3m.

Francis - who also ruled on an earlier chapter in the case - said everyone involved in the case wanted the best for Charlie.

Speaking outside the hospital, Yates said: "He's our son, he's our flesh and blood".

Francis responded: "I have to decide this case not on the basis of tweets, not on the basis of what might be said in the press, or to the press".

"There is nothing to lose, he deserves a chance", she added.

More news: US Not Making Any Deals with Pyongyang, to Launch THAAD Testing