Frankfurt starts defusing massive WWII bomb after evacuating 60000

Posted September 03, 2017

Authorities in Frankfurt, Germany's financial hub, said over 100 patients, including two premature babies and people in intensive care, were evacuated from hospitals.

Bomb technicians had been scheduled to begin work shortly after noon local time, but the fire department said there were delays as some people refused to leave.

"The evacuation has been successfully completed".

German authorities prepare to dispose of WW2 bomb

A police vehicle next to a blue tent covering a British World War II bomb in Frankfurt.

The bomb, which was dropped by the British during Allied bombing campaigns, is an aerial mine HC 4000, weighing 1.4 tonnes, reports Efe news.

Almost 60,000 people are expected to leave their homes on Sunday when the bomb is scheduled to be disposed of. Police are guarding empty houses and apartments from burglars.

More news: Extreme Heat, Fire Grips Calif. Ahead of Holiday Weekend

Adding to the problem are Russian artillery shells, German hand grenades and tank mines, as well as Russian munitions from training facilities in post-war East Germany. The evacuation area includes the central bank where $70 billion USA in gold reserves are stored.

On Saturday, 21,000 people were also evacuated in Koblenz, and earlier this week the deactivation of another device in Berlin forced the closure of Tegel airport for several hours.

The city has opened shelters for evacuees to spend the day, and most museums are opening their doors for free. Nearly 200 bombs have been defused in the town since the end of the war, and residents are well-drilled in the evacuation procedure.

More news: Wayne Rooney rules out England return for 2018 World Cup in Russian Federation

In May this year, Hanover saw 50,000 residents evacuated due to five bombs uncovered in various areas of the city, which at that stage marked the second-largest evacuation since WWII.

More news: All Eyes On Pm Narendra Modi And Xi Jinping At BRICS Summit