Mignolet backs Liverpool to bounce back following Man City defeat

Posted September 12, 2017

Coutinho had been the subject of interest from Barcelona in the transfer window, but the Reds refused to sell the Brazil global and he is back in training with Jurgen Klopp's side.

The Reds' impressive start to the season was brought to a sudden halt as they slumped to a 5-0 Premier League defeat after Sadio Mane was sent off at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday. Listen to the latest episode and subscribe to the podcast on Deezer and iTunes.

But he did play twice for Brazil in the recent global break and rejoined his Reds team-mates in training at Melwood late last week.

More news: Lascelles victor boosts Benitez and Newcastle

Klopp said: "This was the decision we took at City - to leave him out". "He came back from a long flight, after two substitute appearances and three weeks without training". I will have the situation all the time now over the next three or four weeks.

Liverpool will host Burnley at Anfield in their league match on Saturday.

After an impressive 2016-17 season with Huddersfield that saw Ward play a key role in their Premier League promotion, Ward hadn't expected to spend the 2017-18 season playing with Liverpool's reserves.

More news: 3 things we learned from win over Nebraska

Goalkeeper Mignolet said: "We have to take the first 20 minutes and how we played before the worldwide break and take it into the next game".

Coutinho, Liverpool's top-scorer last season and the heart of their midfield creativity, will no doubt be integral to Liverpool's attack amid Mane's suspension.

- Klopp says Coutinho is available for selection in the Champions League this week. "You cannot play these passes better, you have only to make a little more of it. [Coutinho's] a fantastic player, that's really good, hopefully we can use him as quick as possible, but that's how it is".

More news: US House passes bill for self-driving cars