Yemen's Houthi Rebels Shoot Down Saudi Warplane Over Sanaa

Posted January 09, 2018

He said the situation has been made worse by recent increases in fighting and airstrikes.

"Attacking journalists violates all worldwide conventions and human rights treaties", the minister said. He said the new funding will go toward the most vulnerable people in 27 districts at risk of starvation, and to other areas where conflict has recently escalated.

The rebels, who sparked the war in Yemen when they seized the capital in 2014, must also release all detainees and stop launching missiles, Al-Mekhlafi said.

More news: Late-Night Hosts Are Campaigning for Trump's 'Most Dishonest & Corrupt Media Awards'

Earlier this week, the Saudi state media had alleged that the latest Houthi missile attack into southern Saudi Arabia proved that "the Iranian regime remains implicated in supporting the armed Houthis".

Saudi Arabia has accused Iran of backing the Houthis.

Saudi warplanes have been such a common sight over northern Yemen it seems nearly impossible how few Yemeni anti-aircraft weaponry have actually managed to target.

More news: Plane vanishes from radar mid-flight to Texas; Coast Guard search underway

The Saudi-led coalition began its military campaign in Yemen almost three years ago in an attempt to propel ousted President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi back to power and to prevent Houthi rebels from taking control of the country. The airstrikes have killed thousands of civilians and wiped out entire neighborhoods, including hospitals.

The conflict - widely seen as a proxy war between regional rivals Saudi Arabia and Iran - has displaced more than 2 million people, caused a cholera epidemic and pushed the country to the brink of starvation.

The United Nations has approved $50 million to meet the humanitarian needs in Yemen, said a UN spokesman on Friday.

More news: Passenger 'smearing feces' causes United Airlines flight to redirect