Man dies after being sucked into MRI chamber

Posted January 30, 2018

According to hospital staffers, Maru was holding the oxygen cylinder for the mother-in-law while she was scheduled to undergo the MRI scan. Deputy Municipal Commissioner Sunil Dhamne has set up a committee to probe the incident. They said that the technician assured them the machine was turned off when Rajesh was entering the room. His hand got stuck in the machine along with the cylinder triggering a massive oxygen leak. "It all happened because of the carelessness of the doctors and the administration", Maru's brother-in-law, Harish Solanki, said.

Rajesh was rapidly pulled into the MRI machine and it's understood that at some point the tank ruptured - spilling liquid oxygen everywhere.

Patients are thoroughly checked for any metal objects such as jewellery, belts and coins on them before MRI scanning. The victim reportedly inhaled this toxic substance and died within 10 minutes, according to the the Independent.

A man from Mumbai, India, was killed in a freak accident after he took a metal cylinder into a room with an MRI machine.

More news: Thunder's Roberson carted off with leg injury

Efforts to revive Maru in Nair Hospital's trauma ward failed as he passed away due to excess inhalation of oxygen.

"When we reminded him that metallic objects aren't allowed inside the MRI room, he said "sab chalta hai, hamara roz ka kaam hai" (it's fine, we do it every day)". He said,

"An FIR was filed and an enquiry committee has been set up, which will give a report in a week's time."

The B Y L Nair Ch Hospital & T N Medical College is among the premier medical institutions of Mumbai.

Ramesh Bharmal, the dean of the hospital, told AFP that an investigation had been launched to determine the exact cause of death.

More news: Israel condemns Poland over Holocaust Bill

The police have booked three staffers of Nair Hospital in Central Mumbai for culpable homicide not amounting to murder and arrested a doctor and a wardboy today, a police official said, adding that the role of the third accused, an ayah (sweeper), is being examined.

Unfortunately for Rajesh Maru, he tragically died because he did just that.

Hospital staffers claim that the cylinder's knob broke open inside the machine causing leakage and Maru inhaled the fumes. His left hand got stuck in the machine and the knob of the cylinder snapped, leading to the gas leak.

More news: Eagles Take Flight To Minnesota; Fans Give Team Super Sendoff