Man Says AirPods 'Blew Up' On Him, Apple Investigating Claims

Posted February 11, 2018

He wisely made a decision to remove both the buds and place them on some gym equipment before finding some help.

When he came back, he found that the right ear bud had exploded, with the case showing signs of charring and the internal components laid bare.

NBC News reported yesterday that "Jason Colon, of Tampa, was listening to a dance mix at the LA Fitness on 4th Street in St. Petersburg when he noticed something odd".

Colon thinks it was faulty battery.

More news: Many in his party are angry he wanted the foreign minister position

Colon immediately removed the AirPods, and after a while, he observed that the earbud was starting to melt.

"I don't know what would've happened to my ear", he said.

"It was already popped", he said.

"I didn't you, know, see it happen, but I mean it was already fried", Colon said. What is required on Apple's part is the implementation of a safety system that should indicate in some or the other way to warn the user of an electrical issue. "And then I saw white smoke start billowing out", he said.

More news: Global stock markets selloff accelerates

Such reports have continued to plague Samsung, which first issued a voluntary recall of its Galaxy Note 7 phones because of a "battery issue" on September 2, offering to give replacement phones to customers who had bought the devices.

"That's the craziest thing I ever went through".

In 2016, Samsung recalled the Galaxy Note 7 after some phones caught fire because of a defect in the batteries.

An Apple spokesperson told the television station it takes the claim seriously and will investigate.

More news: Twin bombing in Benghazi kills two

Unlike wired ear-pods that get power through the headphone jack, Apple's AirPods use a small rechargeable battery embedded into the earbud itself.