14 civilian killed in clash between Nigerian Army, Boko Haram militants

Posted April 03, 2018

He noted that "the insurgents, attempting to infiltrate Maiduguri metropolis through Muna Zawiya area at about 9.30pm, were spotted by vigilant troops who fired shots, hitting one of them, thereby triggering simultaneous explosions which killed all of them".

"So far we have recovered 18 dead bodies from the two villages", said Benlo Dambatto, an official from the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA).

The military said Boko Haram suicide bombers and gunmen attempted to invade Maiduguri through the outskirts of Bille-Shuwa and Alikaranti villages. "Some of them are in critical condition and will require major surgery from their wounds, which are mostly from gunshots".

The Commissioner of Police, Mr Damian Chukwu, disclosed that five mutilated corpses of male suicide bombers were recovered and two Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) vests were diffused by men of the command at the scene of the attack.

More news: Spring storm packing heavy snow

Nwachukwu said the attackers were on a mission to carry out major attack on Maiduguri.

Gov. Kashim Shettima of Borno on Monday described the Boko Haram insurgents' Sunday night attack on communities in Jere Local Government Area of the state as "sad and inhumane".

Sunday's attack was the biggest since the Nigerian government revealed that it was in talk with the militants.

He said, however, that some of the Boko Haram insurgents were killed.

More news: Police Videos of Shooting of Alton Sterling Finally Released

Maiduguri was the origin of Boko Haram, a hardline Islamist group, whose insurgency over nine years has claimed at least 20,000 lives and displaced more than 2 million residents.

But senior security officials cautioned that reaching any agreement with the group will be hard, as it is split into competing factions with different goals.

The group is divided into two factions that have competing goals and operational methods.

The latest attack in the troubled north-eastern state comes 48 hours after a similar attack on Friday killed one person and injured 13 persons.

More news: Health Experts Discovered An Incurable Gonorrhea Strain

A second faction, led by Abu Musab al-Barnawi, was behind the abduction of the Dapchi schoolgirls.