President Donald Trump in a late-night tweet praised North Korean leader Kim Jong Un after his regime provided the United States with what are believed to be the remains of U.S. service members who died during the Korean War era.
The remains began their flight back to the USA on Wednesday evening local time, after a repatriation ceremony at Osan Air Base, located some 40 miles south of Seoul.
The Sanumdong factory produced two Hwasong-15 ICBMs, North Korea's longest-range missiles, but the us official noted that Pyongyang still had not tested a reliable re-entry vehicle capable of surviving a high-velocity trip through the Earth's atmosphere and delivering a nuclear warhead.
"I know that President Trump is grateful that Chairman Kim has kept his word, and we see today this tangible progress in our efforts to achieve peace on the Korean Peninsula", said Pence, whose father fought in the Korean War.
Fox News' Pete Hegseth, who was traveling with Pence in Air Force 2, recalled the touching story of the heroes' now-grown children.
Examination of dental charts and mitochondrial DNA will be key technologies used to identifying the remains, and the process may take years to complete, DoD officials said. There are 9,569 United Nations Command personnel who remain unaccounted for from the Korean War, including 7,699 Americans.More news: Jérôme Boateng to Manchester United?
The remains of dozens of presumed American war dead are beginning their journey home decades after the end of the Korean War.
Experts say positively identifying the decades-old remains could take anywhere from days to decades.
Lieutenant-General Ahn Ik San, who is leading the North Korean delegation at the military talks, noted South Korean news reports suggesting he might try to persuade the South to push for a joint declaration with the United States to formally end the war.
The remains were then moved in grey vans to an airfield where US and South Korean soldiers loaded them one by one into transport planes.
"We all want diplomacy to succeed, so I am interested to hear more from Secretary Pompeo this Wednesday on his views on this development - and if he considers this to be significant", the New Jersey Democrat said in reference to the images published Monday.
More than 7,700 USA troops who fought in the Korean war remain unaccounted for.More news: US Intelligence: North Korea Is Continuing to Produce ICBMs
This spring, however, Trump took a vastly different approach in his dealings with his North Korean counterpart, leading to the "epochal" summit in Singapore in which North Korean denuclearization was agreed upon.
USA defence secretary Jim Mattis said last week that the return of the 55 boxes was a positive step but not a guarantee that the bones are American.
The evidence obtained this month is the latest to suggest ongoing activity in North Korea's nuclear and missile facilities. Maharani also discussed North and South Korea relations during the visit, as well as regional issues and the performance of Indonesia's police in countering militancy.
The Korean War began on June 25, 1950, and lasted until an armistice was reached on July 27, 1953.
The remains will go to a lab in Hawaii run by the military agency that identifies missing servicemen and women from past conflicts.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo also said Tuesday that reports of missile engine test facility dismantlement in North Korea are "entirely consistent" with the commitment Kim made to Trump in Singapore, and the U.S. has pushed for inspectors to be present. Trump declared soon after the summit that North Korea no longer posed a nuclear threat.More news: NASA Picks Finalists For 3D-Printed Mars Habitat Contest