Former UFC welterweight and middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre has expressed interest in one fight that might be able to lure him to make a return to the Octagon under the UFC banner, which is fighting te victor of the lightweight title showdown between champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and Conor McGregor that is slated to go down at the upcoming UFC 229 pay-per-view event.
The pair will fight for the lightweight title, with McGregor putting his 21-3 record up against Nurmagomedov's superior mark of 26-0.
Our two-year patience, however, is about to be rewarded - because Conor McGregor vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov really is a flawless fight.
The UFC dramatically announced the matchup on Friday with a promotional video to close a news conference promoting its slate of fight cards for the rest of 2018.
Rumors of a couple of different dates have been circulating for the would-be fight between Conor McGregor and his rival, Khabib Nurmagomedov.More news: Former Manafort partner Gates to testify next in fraud trial
"We don't have time for a world tour", UFC president Dana White said at the UFC 227 post-fight press conference.
Added to the mix is the tempestuous history between the two which saw McGregor attack a bus carrying fighters including Nurmagomedov to a media event at Barclays Center in Brooklyn ahead of UFC 223.
He is a formidable challenger for McGregor in a return from a 23-month break from MMA competition. White laughed. "He's obviously lost lots of money".
"I hope that there are no more provocations from McGregor", Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov told R-Sport.
Since then, McGregor's return to the UFC has been teased but the two sides couldn't come to an agreement.More news: Arsenal midfielder Alex Iwobi signs new long term contract
The UFC did not disclose the terms of the fight agreement. The popular Diaz (19-11) hasn't fought since that majority-decision loss to McGregor in August 2016, but he agreed to fight Dustin Poirier in a lightweight bout in NY at UFC 230 on November 3.
The 30-year-old Irishman now has his sights set on winning the lightweight belt for a second time in just his second fight in the division in front of what will undoubtedly be a full crowd.
Diaz didn't seem happy about the surprise announcement of McGregor's next bout.
As it played, Diaz abruptly left the presser he was at and tweeted "I'm not fighting on that show (expletive) the UFC".More news: Switzerland crash: Up to 20 feared dead as WW2 plane crash