Here's The Text Message That Got '60 Minutes' Boss Fired

Posted September 14, 2018

CBS reporter Jericka Duncan appeared on CBS This Morning to talk about the disturbing text message sent to her by ousted 60 Minutes executive producer Jeff Fager when she tried to report on his conduct at the network.

News broke Wednesday afternoon that CBS terminated Fager's contract early because he had "violated company policy".

Fager, who denied the claims, told Duncan to "be careful" in a text message. My language was harsh and, despite the fact that journalists receive harsh demands for fairness all the time, CBS did not like it.

Fager said he would not have thought that one note would have resulted in a dismissal after 36 years at the network, "but it did".

The directors began changing their minds about their chairman a month ago, after a news report revealed that a woman had previously reported the TV titan to police for forcing her to perform oral sex - and he then admitted he was trying to get another accuser a job at CBS to keep her quiet, the New York Times reports.

More news: Philippines, Hong Kong Brace for Super Typhoon Mangkhut

An outside law firm is investigating the charges made against Fager by the New Yorker, and has not yet delivered its report.

On Sunday, Duncan reached out to Fager for his response to allegations in The New Yorker that he had groped or touched CBS employees at company parties. Fager, who was named in reports about tolerating an abusive workplace at CBS, stepped down today.

Longtime "60 Minutes" executive producer Jeff Fager is leaving CBS "effective immediately" after allegations of sexual harassment and groping.

Bloodworth Thomason doesn't mention the incident or the actress again, but the claim reinforces the sexual misconduct allegations Moonves is now facing and the pattern of behavior suggested in Ronan Farrow's New Yorker pieces.

"I just think it's so refreshing that this old regime of the boys club, guys taking care of guys...", Osbourne said, "I just think it's great to clean house".

More news: Trump made false claim about economy, GDP, unemployment rate: White House

Meanwhile, Duncan has made the media rounds discussing the text and sharing why she chose to release the text. Glor pointed this out on Wednesday's newscast: "In less than a year", he said, "three of the most powerful men in broadcasting" - Fager, Moonves and Rose - "all accused of sexual misconduct, have either been fired or resigned". CBS News released a statement vaguely explaining why they parted ways with him after decades with 60 Minutes.

Rhodes' action against Fager also exacerbated the longstanding tensions between "60 Minutes" and the rest of the news division.

He said "Ianniello is in full support of this decision and the transition to come".

"Despite Charlie's important journalistic contribution to our news division, there is absolutely nothing more important, in this or any organization, than ensuring a safe, professional workplace - a supportive environment where people feel they can do their best work", Rhodes said in a memo previous year.

Mr Fager, 63, called the claims "false", and said they "do not stand up to editorial scrutiny".

More news: Trump administration to threaten ICC judges with sanctions, prosecution