ABC Boss Karey Burke Addresses Oscars Controversy Ahead of Show

Posted February 07, 2019

"We are not going to go straight into people thanking their agents".

In December, Comedian Kevin Hart pulled out from hosting the ceremony following a controversy over homophobic tweets. Burke is aware of the trend and is looking into it, but she still has faith that the Academy is putting on a show people will want to watch.

"I, ironically, have found that the lack of clarity around the Oscars has kept the Oscars really in the conversation", she said.

More news: Zuckerberg says Facebook critics too 'negative' on 15th anniversary

Burke added during the panel that she believed producers made a wise choice when they chose to go without a host for the awards ceremony, according to Entertainment Tonight. "It's fascinating. We're going to see a big turnout for this because these are big, popular movies who are being nominated".

In January, Hart apologized again to the LGBTQ community, adding, "We thought it was OK to talk like that, because that's how we talked to one another".

ABC Entertainment PR and an Academy spokesperson confirmed the information to ABC News on Tuesday, months after Kevin Hart stepped down as host.

More news: Trump says he'll keep US troops in Iraq to 'watch Iran'

"This is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many wonderful talented artists. After that, it was pretty clear that we were going to stay the course. there was an idea that we were just going to just have presenters host the Oscars and we all got on board with that pretty quickly", Burke explained.

Burke said her worries about the host-less ceremony have vanished as it comes together with a "phenomenal" line-up of presenters. "The producers made a decision to wisely not have a host and have the presenters and the movies be the stars".

She said the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which organizes the Oscars, had promised ABC last year to keep the telecast to three hours - about 30 minutes shorter than in recent years.

More news: Kristaps Porzingis SHOCKS Knicks in showdown talks amid Anthony Davis rumours

"This is not the first time this has come up, I've addressed it, I've spoken on it", he continued.