YouTube said on Thursday it has taken aggressive action after a video creator accused the platform of aiding pedophiles in finding clips of young girls. They are mostly innocent videos of young girls playing, doing exercises in their family home, or taking part in gymnastics.
"All Nestle companies in the USA have paused advertising on YouTube", a spokesperson for the food company told CBS MoneyWatch.More news: Samsung unveils five Galaxy phones, including folding and 5G models
A YouTube spokesman said: 'Any content - including comments - that endangers minors is abhorrent and we have clear policies prohibiting this on YouTube.
YouTube told the Verge it has taken "immediate action" by deleting many accounts and channels, as well as reporting illegal activity to the authorities and removing comments. YouTube admits there is more it can do to catch abuse, and in a more timely manner.
YouTube has removed over 400 channels for comments they left on videos. After clicking on several bikini videos, YouTube's recommendation engine suggests that users watch videos with minors, Watson said.
"Videos of children showing their exposed buttocks, underwear and genitals are racking up millions of views on YouTube-with the site displaying advertising from major cosmetics and vehicle brands alongside the content", Wired UK wrote. We asked YouTube if it has identified any problems in its algorithms that helped cause the problem but received no answer to that question.More news: Tatum, Harris, Diallo win titles at All-Star Saturday
Over the a year ago, many major advertisers have returned to the site after they were reassured that YouTube had made progress in flagging and dealing with problematic content more quickly. Advertising research firm EMarketer estimates YouTube will net $11.4 billion in worldwide revenue in 2019 after accounting for revenue shared with content producers. "The executives also told ad buyers the company will deliver a timeline in 24 hours outlining new restrictions and product changes, one of the people said".
Earlier this week, YouTuber Matt Watson spotlighted how YouTube's algorithm was enabling a "wormhole" of videos featuring children which were being targeted by predators in the comment sections.
All Nestle companies have pulled their ads from YouTube, CNN reports. August Oetker also halted ad spending at YouTube.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Nestlé, McDonald's, Fairlife, Canada Goose Holdings, Vitacost.com, and GNC Holdings also temporarily stopped running advertisements on YouTube.More news: Paul Menard takes blame for starting 'Big One' late in Daytona 500